Belize is one of the most beautiful tropical countries on the planet. Over 300,000 tourists visited the country alone in 2015. This tropical paradise is definitely something to look forward to but also something not to take too lightly. Here are 5 things you will want to consider, before arriving on the vacation of your dreams!
- Plan your itinerary. From visiting Mayan Ruins to the Belize City Zoo, there will always be plenty of activities to keep you occupied in Belize. Too many times tourist can become overwhelmed with the amount of locals pushing to take them on paid tours and excursions that may be little more than a country side drive. It is important that you do your research before hand and come up with a well planned set of activities in order to maximize your time here in Belize.
- Get Your Documents in Order. Fortunately, for U.S. citizens, Belize does not require a valid Visa to enter. However, you will need a valid passport and a return/onward ticket within 30 days of your arrival. You may also be questioned or ask to show proof of sufficient funds (75$ USD per day) to cover the length of your stay. There would be nothing more disappointing that being turned down at the entry gates to one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
- Get Your Sun Tan Ready. Belize, located just a few degrees north of the equator has over 240 miles of pristine coastline. Given this, there is a high chance you’ll be spending at least part of your trip swimming and relaxing at the beach. The sun’s rays reflect off large bodies of water and make your skin at a higher risk for sunburn. And we all know that nothing ruins a tropical trip more than leaving the beach looking like a giant lobster. It’s best to either use a high SPF sunscreen or develope a nice base tan before you go.
- Get Some Exercise In. Tropical vacations can usually be filled with heavy mixes between relaxing and drinking on the beach, and hiking or exploring popular landmarks and destinations. In order to not be totally wiped out from the back and forth, you should plan to get a solid week or two of some low intensity cardio. This will make sure you’re body can take the stress from the adventuring and still be able to enjoy the margaritas in your down time.
- Build Up Some Immunities. If traveling internationally for the first time, you’re body is likely going to be exposed to some elements that you have not encountered in the past. It is important to make sure you eat healthy and get some rest so that your body can have time to prepare itself before you throw it into an unknown environment. Make sure you eat plenty of fruits and veggies before taking off and you may even want to consider some Airborne to bring with just in case. No one likes to be sick on vacation.